Two Festus Middle School students finished second and third in an essay contest sponsored by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office. The contest was to celebrate Jefferson County's Bicentennial this year. 8th grader Lily Walker and 7th grader Lillian Smith finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. Each girl received a certificate, a sheriff's badge, a new book on the history of Jefferson County and a cash reward. Some members of their families along with school administration were there for the award presentation today (December 7, 2018). Teachers could not edit the essays for grammar. The students were not allowed to put their names on their essays. The were identified by assigned number. You can read the winning essays by clicking on the links below.
Winter break is quickly approaching. Our last day of classes will be an early dismissal day. Please click here to see the early dismissal times for each school building. These are updated times and are different from previously posted early dismissal times.
Early release times are:
Elementary (Grades K-3) Dismissed at 1:10 p.m.
Intermediate (Grades 4-5) Dismissed at 1:10 p.m.
Intermediate (Grade 6) Dismissed at 12:10 p.m.
Middle School (Grades 7-8) Dismissed at 12:00 p.m.
Senior High (Grades 9-12) Dismissed at 12:10 p.m.
Early dismissal for inclement weather during the winter months is contingent upon the weather and road conditions. Notification of school closure and/or early dismissal's because of weather will be made using the Phone/Text alert via Schoolmessenger, as well as social media and local news and radio stations. If you should have any questions or you've had a change in phone number, please contact your child's school office.
The Festus High School Project Prom Committee is hosting a 5K Run/Walk or a 1K Fun run to raise money to help students have a safe prom night. Click here for a registration form.
Any person wishing to file for the Festus R-VI School District Board of Education may do so at the Roy D. Burnside Administration Building located at 1515 Mid-Meadow Lane, Festus, MO 63028 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. beginning Tuesday, December 11, 2018, through Monday, January 14, 2019. The final day for filing will be Tuesday, January 15, 2019, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. There will be two positions up for re-election with each being a three-year term. In addition, there will be one position which is a one-year term to fill an unexpired term that was vacated in January 2018. An election for seats on the board will be held Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
Any person interested in serving on the FestusSchool District R-VI School Board of Education will meet the following requirements:
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be a resident taxpayer of the Festus School District
- Have resided in Missouri for a minimum of one (1) year preceding their election.
- Be at least 24 years of age
- Must not be delinquent in the payment of state income taxes, personal property taxes or real property taxes on their place of residence. If an applicant is a past or present corporate officer of any fee office, that office cannot be delinquent in the payment of any taxes owed the state.
- Have not been found guilty of nor pled guilty to a felony under the federal laws of the United States of America or to a felony under Missouri law or an offense committed in another state that would be considered a felony in Missouri.
- Not be registered or required to be registered as a sex offender.
- Have filed, or the treasurer of an existing candidate committee has filed, all required campaign disclosure reports with the Missouri Ethics Commission, when applicable for all previous elections in which they were candidates.
This week the Festus School Board received two reports. One is an analysis of expected future growth in the Festus R-VI School District. The other is the result of a recent phone survey of District patrons to gauge their thoughts about the School district and their potential support of various projects. A link to the results of both surveys is below.